Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Remembrance Day is...







Growing up November 11th was more than just Remembrance Day.It was a day to remind us of a family that would have never been if Grandpa Hicken wasn't protected in the war. When I was younger I looked forward to Grandpa speaking in school about the war...Now I have an 8 year old that is begging me to take him to Canada for Remembrance Day just to hear Great Grandpa speak. Grandpa has this ability to connect with all generations. I am so lucky that my kids know and love him. We took him to our little airport to see the bombers in the spring and I got to sit back and watch Payson entranced by Grandpa's war stories.

I had a very special phone conversation with my Uncle Patrick over a year ago while collecting information for Grandpa's book of remembrance. Over the phone, a very emotional Pat said, "Not too long ago, Dad was listening to my problems. He just said to me in his usual calm voice, 'Well, I never really had any problems in my life, so I just don't know what that would be like.' Here's my Dad, who is a War Hero and lived through a lot and he doesn't think he had any problems. He always looks at the good in everything, and I guess that's why he never felt like he had any problems. I have a zillion good stories about my Dad and couldn't think of even one bad thing. He thinks nothing is a problem, there is always a solution and just continues on and does his very best. I decided if a War Hero could do that, than I guess I can too." Us too, Pat. And that's what Remembrance Day means to me.

Don't forget to have a moment of silence with the Canadians on the 11th minute of the 11th hour, the 11th day of the 11th month!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super cool!! I love that family picture!!

Angie said...

Your post made me teary! I don't think that I have ever seen your grandpa or your grandma without a smile. I think our generation has a lot to learn from our grandparents.

lynz said...

awwww!

The Byams said...

we are one lucky family thats for sure!! and grandpa hicken is one special guy!! love ya iv!

mindy said...

love it Iv. I have those same feelings about remembrance day. It just doesn't feel the same here.